Travel WeeklyTravel WeeklyTravel Weekly
  • Aviation
  • Cruise
  • Destinations
Search
  • Aviation
  • Cruise
  • Destinations
  • Appointments
  • Hotels
  • Rail
  • Technology
  • Tourism
  • Travel Advisors
  • Wholesalers
  • Partner Content
  • Events
  • Latest News
  • Subscribe to newsletter
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Women in Travel Awards
  • Travel DAZE
© 2026 The Misfits Media Company Pty Limited. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Apollo swoops with higher $14.78-a-share bid for easyJet, edging out Castlelake
Share
Subscribe
Sign In
Travel WeeklyTravel Weekly
Search
  • Aviation
  • Cruise
  • Destinations
  • Hotels
  • Rail
  • Technology
  • Tourism
  • Travel Advisors
  • Wholesalers
  • Partner Content
  • Events
  • Discover
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Women in Travel Awards
  • Travel DAZE
  • The Travel Awards
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • About
  • Contact
  • Editorial Principles
  • Privacy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Advertise With Us
© 2025 The Misfits Media Company Pty Limited. All Rights Reserved.
Travel Weekly > Aviation > Apollo swoops with higher $14.78-a-share bid for easyJet, edging out Castlelake
Aviation

Apollo swoops with higher $14.78-a-share bid for easyJet, edging out Castlelake

Staff Writers
Published on: 13th July 2026 at 3:34 PM
Edited by Staff Writers
Share
London Gatwick, UK - Nov 23rd, 2017: Passengers board an Easyjet airplane at London's Gatwick airport
Easyjet is now considering a rival private equity offer.
SHARE

Apollo Global Management has emerged as the leading contender to acquire UK budget flyer easyJet after tabling a higher takeover proposal that has prompted the airline’s board to withdraw its support for rival bidder Castlelake.

The US private equity giant has proposed a cash offer of £7.15 per share (around AU$14.78), valuing the low-cost carrier at £5.2 billion (approximately A$10.75 billion). The bid tops Castlelake’s latest proposal of £6.90 per share (around AU$14.26).

In a statement to the London Stock Exchange, easyJet said its board had “unanimously concluded that the financial terms of the proposed cash offer are at a level that it would be minded to recommend to easyJet shareholders”.

The airline added that Apollo’s proposal “delivers a superior outcome for easyJet shareholders by providing a higher cash value than Castlelake’s latest proposal of £6.90 per easyJet share”.

Last week, Easyjet said it agreed in principle to the $10 billion takeover bid from US investment firm Castlelake.

EasyJet also said it believes the new proposed transaction offers “an attractive combination of value, strategic alignment and long-term stewardship of the business”, meaning the board is “no longer minded to recommend the Castlelake proposal”.

Apollo has until 5pm on August 7 to either announce a firm offer or walk away under UK takeover rules, while Castlelake faces an earlier August 3 deadline.

The investment firm described itself as a long-term aviation investor that has followed easyJet for many years and considers it “one of the most attractive businesses in the global aviation sector”.

Apollo said it supports easyJet’s existing strategy of strengthening its low-cost model through larger aircraft, expanded ancillary revenue, a stronger loyalty proposition and continued growth of easyJet Holidays.

The firm believes taking the airline private would provide access to additional capital and enable longer-term strategic planning, accelerating management’s commercial and operational ambitions.

Apollo also pledged to retain the easyJet brand, continue the airline’s licensing agreement with easyGroup, and work closely with employees to support future growth.

The aviation-focused investor has built an extensive portfolio across the sector, including interests in aircraft lessor Perseus Aviation, financing for Air France-KLM, investments in Aeromexico and SAS, and its 2024 agreement to acquire The Travel Corporation, parent company of brands including Trafalgar, Uniworld, Contiki and Insight Vacations.

 

SUBSCRIBE NOW FOR FREE
Sign up to receive a subscription to the Travel Weekly daily email newsletter
Share

Latest News

Minor Hotels
Minor Hotels to debut Avani Queenstown in New Zealand
August 7, 2026
National Theater and Concert Hall, Taipei City
Luxury Escapes unveils first Taiwan tour in six years as bookings surge
August 7, 2026
Captain’s Welcome Dinner from left: Lar Phar Dee; Nik Young (Anywhere Travel); Vanessa Schmitzer (Schmitzer & James Travel Associates); Captain Sébastien Dubuffet; Kristina Sambaher (PONANT State Manager); Natasha Dann (iTravel Group); Karen Jarvie (Hunter Travel Group); Scott Jarvie.
Advisors set sail on a voyage of discovery with PONANT and Smithsonian Journeys
August 7, 2026
China Airlines A350 aircraft.
Wendy Wu Tours, China Airlines launch incentive for eight advisors to win trip to Taiwan
August 7, 2026
//

Travel Weekly is an Australian travel industry publication covering the latest news, trends, and insights across tourism, aviation, hospitality and travel marketing.

About TW

  • About
  • Contact
  • Editorial Principles
  • Privacy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Advertise With Us

Top Categories

  • Aviation
  • Cruise
  • Destinations
  • Hotels
  • Rail
  • Tourism
  • Travel Advisors

Sign Up for Our Newsletter



Travel WeeklyTravel Weekly
Follow US
© 2026 The Misfits Media Company Pty Limited. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

Not a member? Sign Up